More and more applicants are interested in distance education from year to year. Today, a lot of Universities offer distance programs of higher education. It means that you can study online without leaving your home. The only thing you need is PC or laptop with Internet access. There is no special equipment required for online classes.
How does this work?
1. After enrolment, you will be provided with a login and password for the student's personal account. There, you will find the curriculum, the class schedule, home assignments, the timetable of tests and exams as well as learning materials.
2. Classes are held in a virtual classroom where the lecturer can use a whiteboard and other tools for presentation. Similar to typical lectures, students can communicate with the lecturer, answer and ask questions. The class format may vary from university to university.
3. The graduation thesis is defended as per the resolution of the university: some educational institutions require direct presence in classroom for the graduation thesis defense, while others have nothing against online format.
What are the real advantages of distance education?
1. There is no need to attend a university. It enables the students to combine study with work or leisure. As for international students, they can study from home without need to enter into the Russian Federation. It saves money on tickets and accommodation.
2. Obtaining a state-recognized degree. If you study at a State-Recognized University, you will obtain a state-recognized degree after completing distance education.
3. The distance education costs cheaper than the traditional one. The average cost amounts to 60,000 rubles (1,055 USD) per year.
Are there any disadvantages of the distance education?
1. More limited in education program scope.
2. No deferrals from national service.
3. Poor Internet and technical support. If you do not have access to high-speed Internet, then this will significantly complicate the educational process.
4. Increase in self-education work. When studying online, the lecturers provide with more material for self-education and increase the amount of home assignments.
What are the universities offering distance educational programs?
❖ Razumovsky Moscow State University of Technology and Management
❖ Synergy University
❖ Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation
❖ Saint Petersburg University of Management and Economics Technologies
❖ Ural State University of Economics
❖ Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration
Thus, this article has provided you with the principal advantages and disadvantages of distance education. It is up to you to decide which format of higher education to choose.